I dreamt that Donald Trump woke up this morning after a Christmas Eve slumber like the one endured by Charles Dickens’ Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol.
I dreamt that he woke up a changed man resolved to forsake the venality, shallowness, and self-centered hardhearted nature that has caused hurt and displacement to so many and brought shame upon the United States of America.
- I dreamt that—just as Scrooge sent the young boy to the poulter to buy the prize turkey for his impoverished clark, Bob Cratchitt, Mr. Trump would donate a billion of his own dollars to help alleviate the problem of hunger in our world.
- I dreamed that just as Scrooge awoke determined that Tiny Tim receive the health care he deserves, that Mr. Trump would wake up and see that health care—the best money can buy–should be the right of all and not the privilege of the few.
- I dreamt that like Scrooge Mr. Trump awoke this morning with zeal to right the many wrongs of his past.
- He would start by remitting back payment with interest to all the contractors and other workers he stiffed or cheated over the years.
- I dreamt that he would wake up not with a commitment to sending more miners into the depths the earth to die young from Black Lung Disease, but with a commitment to put, “America First,” in the development of clean solar energy and other environmental saving initiatives.
- Yes, I dreamt that Mr. Trump woke up this morning not with a commitment to making America First in competition with other countries but first in its desire to fulfill the dream of its founders.
- I dreamt that Mr. Trump woke up with the resolve to turn his massive pleasure palace at Mar A Lago into the official, “United States Refugee welcoming Center.” I dreamed Mar A Lago could become the place where, “the tired … poor huddled masses yearning to breath free,” of oppression violence and fear would find warm beds, healthy food, language and job training so that like so many immigrants before them they can assume productive positions in building what truly could become the greatest nation in history.
But I fear that before Trump wakes up a changed man like Scrooge, we are the ones who will have to wake up.
And when we do we will marvel at how we could elect a man like this to be our leader. Just as Germany looks back in shame at having elevated Adolf Hitler, America will look back in shame at placing Donald Trump in the oval office.
I have another dream this Christmas morning: that at the earliest opportunity, we shall oust this president from office and consign the disastrous policies he has pursued to the dustbin of history.
And then, let us begin to heal.
5 thoughts on “Christmas Morning”
You certainly have vivid dreams, Rabbi. That happens to me if I eat pizza right before going to bed. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
I wish my dream could come true! When I eat pizza before going to bed, I usually have dream I hope do not come true!
This is what I needed to read as we drive towards our 5 week home away from home.
Pittsburgh is still in active mourning. One of our recent congregants is the daughter of Melvin Wax. I went to shiva despite not having known either of them. Who would have ever imagined.
Thank you, Joan! We look forward to seeing you!
What medications do you take before going to bed?